"Our first board meeting was on January 19, 2020. The board agreed that our focus this year will be to ensure that all moms feel connected to each other and to the organization. Simply put: our goal is to help build friendships. You'll see this manifest in how we communicate to members, plan events, and focus on playgroups."
I've been a long-time BMA member, helping start one of the very first working moms' playgroups! BMA has afforded wonderful volunteer opportunities, both one-off and on the Board. The Treasurer role was a great fit, as I worked full-time but still wanted to contribute to BMA. If you have a desire to "give back" -- in any capacity -- to this amazing group that has supported mothers just like you for decades, I promise there is a place for you on the BMA Board!
Being on the board was one of the most rewarding things I did when my daughter was younger! I met so many really amazing women, and we got to collaborate to bring experiences to not only our children, but our whole family! We made life-long friends that we may not have met otherwise. I joined the board when my daughter was 1 year old, and I ended up sticking with it till she turned 5. Over those 4 years I served as the secretary, membership and playgroup chair, and as the Vice President.
I served on the Board as Book Club chair for 2 years, and it was awesome…BMA Board is what you make it, based on your time, and your interests. Although I signed up for Book Club, I helped organize events on Working Mothers - balancing career and childcare that was an issue I was grappling with at the time… Finally, I still count BMA moms among my best friends in KC, having moved here knowing no-one at 8 months pregnant. I also had the pleasure of meeting the founders of BMA - who are now grandmothers - and it was awesome to feel that we are part of this incredible legacy that's been going for almost 40 years, helping families grow and women navigate motherhood together.
Shortly after becoming a mom, I realized I was suddenly on my own and having made the choice to stay at home, I was even further isolated. Gaining the courage to join BMA was the best decision I could have possibly made. Immediately I was immersed in a world of women with the same feelings!
After recognizing how much I enjoyed the women I was meeting, I wanted to dive deeper and join the board to further some of the meaningful connections I was forming. I have had so many laughs, wonderful conversations and lasting friendships due to joining the BMA Board.
The decision to join the BMA Board took me from "frequenter" to "member". Now, having had the opportunity to meet so many other KC mothers, I find myself unable to go to a park or children's play place without recognizing another BMA mother- which is exactly why I joined this community in the first place!!
I served as a Co-Philanthropy Chair for 2 years. At first, I was a little hesitant to apply because I wasn’t sure about the time commitment…but I went for it anyway and am SO happy I stepped out of my comfort zone. I was able to use my professional background to build relationships in the community and bring some new experiences to the BMA community…Beyond my specific role, I met women outside of my playgroup who are complete bosses—diverse, talented, and a whole lot of fun.
Lilly Coye 2018-2019
The BMA board is a great place to give back. I have been on the board for 2 years. The commitment is not overwhelming and can fit into your schedule how you need it to. If you've enjoyed being part of BMA or are new to BMA and want to connect more please consider joining!
I joined the BMA board to further my reach into the community, to add 'board experience' to my resume, and to connect deeper with the organization. My playgroup is so awesome and I wanted to help the organization continue that legacy with other members - as I've gotten so much out of it as a mother of two young children. I've enjoyed most getting to know the board members as they are super awesome strong women, and talking about how we can create meaningful events and more connection points for our members. It’s been rewarding and I am excited to see what amazing things we do in 2020!
Brookside Mothers' Association
Board of Directors 2020
OFFICERS & EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
President= This role is responsible for leading Brookside Mothers’ Association, ensuring communication, events, and member communities align with the goals and vision of the organization. Responsibilities include overseeing the board, leading bimonthly board meetings and administering legal and state documents.
Secretary= This role is the custodian of corporate records and filings for BMA. This officer schedules bimonthly meetings, creates the agenda and keeps the minutes of the meetings and other actions of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
Treasurer= This role is responsible for maintaining and reconciling the BMA budget, which is agreed upon by the board. This officer submits reimbursements and refunds as needed and partners with other board members to help reconcile the financial status of members.
COMMUNICATIONS TEAM = Reinforces the BMA brand via external & internal communication channels primarily website, monthly emails/newsletter & social media pages. The team works with and on behalf of other teams to share content with members.
1. PR = This chair is a member of the Communications Team and partners with them to define and push out communications for BMA members and potential members (external sites and acquisition efforts). Responsible for content posted on social media channels (private FB, public FB & private BST pages). Responsible for community management and aligning content to the pillars outlined and agreed upon by the BMA board. Works closely with the website chair to ensure all information is accurate, timely and connected (links, etc.). Oversees advertising budget and responsible for reporting fees/expenses to treasurer.
2. Website = This chair is a member of the Communications Team and is responsible for BMA’s website: www.bmamoms.com. The website is the hub for information for BMA members and via the communications team, this chair ensures the information is consistent at all access points and is published timely and accurately. This chair supports other board members as they require the website channel for their team communications to members. Responsible for the web host provider (Wild Apricot) services, options, changes in offerings or policies. Responsible for Website budget and reporting fees/expenses to the treasurer.
3. Newsletter and Group Data = This chair is a member of the Communications Team and is responsible for pulling data from the software, Wild Apricot, to share membership analytics with the board to inform decisions. This board member identifies patterns and trends in the data, creating solutions and suggestions on how the board can maximize their efforts. This chair supports the Membership Engagement char in activities such as membership drives, surveys, and other outreach initiatives. This chair leads the coordinating efforts of the Communications Team to produce a monthly digital newsletter for members. Responsible for respective budget and reporting expenses to the treasurer.
MEMBERSHIP TEAM:Manages the relationship between members and BMA, connecting them to each other, the organization and the greater local community.
1. MembershipEngagement = This chair is part of the Membership Engagement Team and is responsible for welcoming and connecting new and current BMA members. This chair is the point person for engagement - leading and encouraging members to connect to the greater BMA community. This board member works with the Newsletter and Group Data chair in membership activities such as drives, surveys and other initiatives. Responsible for Membership budget and reporting expenses to the treasurer.
2. Playgroup = This chair is part of the Membership Engagement Team and is responsible for overseeing BMA Playgroups and Playgroup Leaders. This board member connects members to playgroups, conducts onboarding process for new playgroup leaders and links the playgroup leaders to the board. This chair maintains a directory of active playgroups, co-hosts new member dinners with the Moms’ Event and Membership Chairs, and hosts biannual Playgroup Leader meetings. Responsible for Playgroup budget and reporting expenses to the treasurer.
3. Philanthropy = This chair is a part of the Membership Engagement Team and is responsible for coordinating the philanthropic efforts of BMA. This board member manages the long-standing relationship with The Children’s Place including coordinating volunteers for the monthly, recurring BackSnack Packing Event. This chair seeks-out volunteer opportunities for BMA families and plans one fundraising event of their choosing per year, partnering with the Events Team as needed. Responsible for Philanthropy budget and reporting expenses to the treasurer.
EVENTS TEAM: Manages, plans and communicates BMA-exclusive events with the purpose of bringing members together to create an environment of fun and community.
1. Moms' Events = This chair is part of the Special Events Team and is responsible for creating BMA-exclusive Moms’ Night In/Out events. The goal of these events is to offer moms a chance to socialize and connect with each other while practicing a bit of self-care by taking respite from their mom duties. This chair is responsible for 4 Moms’ events per year - and coordinating/organizing the calendar with partnership of the events team and marketing efforts via the communications team. Past events have included: peddle-hopper night, spa night, happy hours, etc. This chair co-hosts new member dinners with the Playgroup and Membership chairs. Responsible for Moms’ event budget and reporting expenses to treasurer. Members of the Events Team will partner together to create quarterly Open Playgroup events.
2. Family Events = This chair is part of the Special Events Team and is responsible for creating BMA-exclusive events with the purpose of bringing together families, including partners and littles. This chair is responsible for 4 Family events per year - and coordinating/organizing the calendar with partnership of the events team and marketing efforts via the communications team. Past events have included: Be Mine Valentine’s Party, Summer Social and Boo Bash. Responsible for Family events budget and reporting expenses to treasurer. Members of the Events Team will partner together to create quarterly Open Playgroup events.
3. Wellness Events = This chair is part of the Special Events Team and is responsible for creating BMA-exclusive events focusing on health and fitness in an effort to bring balance and self care to BMA members. These events often partner with local businesses to offer free or discounted classes for BMA members.. This chair is responsible for 4 Wellness events per year - coordinating/organizing the calendar with partnership of the events team and the communications team. Past partnerships and events have included: Barre3, healthy cooking classes, and mom/baby yoga.Responsible for Wellness events budget and reporting fees/expenses to treasurer. Members of the Events Team will partner together to create quarterly Open Playgroup events.
4. Community Engagement = This chair is a member of the Communications Team and is responsible for 3-4 community workshops per year that focus on education and enrichment of our BMA members. Past events have included: Kids & Careers, Kids & Tech, home organization and relationships/motherhood. These events are meant to include, support and engage moms around a variety of topics that are important to them. Partners with the communication and events team to organize their events into the calendar and schedule marketing efforts. Responsible for Workshops event budget and reporting fees/expenses to the treasurer.